The Civil Services Examination (CSE) conducted by the Union Public Service Commission is one of the most sought after tests, in pursuit of a government job role for the nation’s service.
The most preferred of all services offered under the All India Services are the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and the Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Revenue Service (IRS). Likewise there are about 20 more services offered via the CSE examination.
The examination comprises two stages namely:
1) Preliminary Examinations (400 marks)
- Two papers- Paper I for General Studies and Paper II for Aptitude
- Multiple-choice objective type questions
- Each paper carries a maximum of 200 marks.
- Duration for each prelim paper is 2 hours
2) Selected candidates are eligible for Main Examinations
- Round I: Written Test
- 9 papers (2 of qualifying nature + 7 of merit-grading nature)
- Qualifying papers – (English paper + Indian language paper)
- Merit Grading papers – (4 of General Studies nature + 1 Essay Type + 2 of one chosen optional subject)
- The qualifying papers carry 300 marks each, while the merit-grading papers carry 250 marks each
- Duration for each main examination is 3 hours.
- Round II : Personality test (Interview)
- Candidates will have to meet minimum qualifying mark fixed by the Commission at its discretion.
- It carries 275 marks
- There is no minimum qualifying mark to succeed in this round or further